How to Manually Update Kindle’s Firmware Version
What is the Kindle firmware upgrade? What are the benefits of upgrading the firmware?
The firmware is the Kindle’s system files. Kindle firmware upgrade service is provided by Amazon, we can upgrade the firmware to fix the old version firmware’s bugs, improve system stability, benefit the new features.
Firmware upgrade does not affect the Kindle’s warranty, it is recommended to upgrade to latest firmware immediately. Of course, if your Kindle has been jailbroken, you need to be cautious. Upgrade to new firmware may erease the jailbroken record.
So how to upgrade the Kindle firmware? How to update the Kindle system version?
All Kindle models firmware file download
At first locate the exact generation your Kindle is on this page. Then download the corresponding firmware files in the list below.
- Kindle Oasis
- Kindle Voyage
- Kindle 8th Generation
- Kindle 7th Generation
- Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation (KPW3)
- Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation (KPW2)
- Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation
- Kindle 5th Generation
- Kindle Touch
- Kindle Keyboard
- Kindle DX
- Kindle 2nd Generation
- Kindle 1st Generation
Where is the firmware version? How do I check the Kindle firmware version?
Different Kindle model’s firmware version is located in the different location, the following list displays the method for different Kindle models:
Kindle Paperwrite 1 / 2 / 3 / Oasis / Voyage / Kindle 7th & 8th generation：
Home — Menu — Settings — Menu — Device Info
Kindle 4 / 5 / Kindle touch
Home — Menu — Setting — Menu — Device Info
Kindle 1 / 2 / 3 / Keyboard / DX / DXG：
Home — Menu — Settings — The right bottom corner will display the firmware version
Steps to upgrade Kindle firmware
- Download the latest firmware file (you can find the download links from content above);
- Using a USB cable to connect your Kindle to your computer, a removable disk called “Kindle” will appear in My Computer (or “Computer”) (the MAC system will appear directly on the desktop);
- Copy the downloaded firmware file to Kindle’s root directory (where you can see documents folder);
- Safely eject the Kindle removable drive, disconnect Kindle and computer’s USB connection;
- Go to your Kindle’s home screen, click on the menu (top right corner of the screen) -> Settings -> menu (top right corner of the screen) -> update your Kindle;
- Then Kindle’s screen will display “your Kindle software is updating……”;
- Wait a moment until the Kindle reboots automatically, then the firmware is updated successfully.
- If the update your Kindle option is gray out, it indicates that your system is already the latest, or your firmware is not placed in the root directory location or the firmware file is not correct, please follow the steps above strictly and try again.
- When upgrade is completed, if the firmware file is still existed in the root directory, you can manually delete it as it takes large amount of your Kindle storage.